Frequently Asked Questions
What do I bring for my Ranch-stay?
- Bathing suit and towel for the hot-tub
- Pair of slippers for the ranch house
- Clothes that are appropriate for a ranch stay (riding, hiking, etc.) Long pants and boots with heals would be ideal. No sandals-crocs or open toed shoes please.
- Cowboy hat or riding helmet. Helmets are mandatory for horseback riders under 19 years of age. The ranch has some helmets available.
- If you intend to use hiking boots for horseback riding, make sure they are not too wide, so that they fit into the stirrups.
- Rain gears
- Small water bottle and insect spray
- Small camera and lots of film
- For your ranch-stay please chose clothes suitable for on a ranch
Additional gear for camping and pack trips
- Good sleeping bag, for minimum of minus 10 degrees Celsius
- Flashlight and batteries
- We serve good quality spring water, ice tea, hot tea and coffee. Guests may bring their own alcoholic beverages and pop. There is a fridge available for the guests.
Horseback Riding at Silver Spur Trails
- Horseback riding at Silver Spur Trails is ideal for experienced riders or riders with some trail riding experience who are fit, active and have a great sense of adventure.
- If you are staying at the ranch we show you how to saddle your horse, introduce you to natural horsemanship and western riding and take you on horseback rides through thick bush, along narrow mountain trails.
- We mostly walk our horses because of the mountain terrain which is not suitable for fast riding.
- Our well trained, responsive horses (Morgan and Quarter) love to work for their riders.
- We do have approved riding helmets available or wear your Cowboy hat as a protection from weather and branches.
- Minors (up to 19) will have to wear a riding helmet.
- All riders will be asked to sign a waiver form before any horse activities or canoeing. If you would like to see a copy of the waiver form before your arrival, send us a note upon your booking.
- Absolutely NO Smoking around the horses and during trail rides (cigarettes have to stay at the ranch)
General Information for Guests
- Our prices are calculated per person.
- We have four single guest rooms with twin beds and one double room with a queen bed for couples.
- There is a big washroom with shower available which is shared by the guests. The water supply at the ranch is limited and we therefore ask that you use water sparingly during your stay.
- Towels for the shower are available but guests usually bring their own for the hot-tub.
- Smoking is prohibited in all buildings and near the animals. There is No smoking during hikes or trail rides.
- Since we live at the edge of the wilderness, coming into contact with spiders and other insects is unavoidable.
- There is cell phone reception at the ranch.
- To use the phone at the ranch we ask that you purchase a phone card.
- There is NO Wireless Internet access available at the ranch. Internet connection via your laptop is available between 7.30 pm and 9:30 pm for email and browsing only. No downloading of any files, movies or music, no software updates and no Skype. Because we live in the country we have limited downloading bites available per day. If we use up over the limit we have to wait 48 hours to get back on. If staff or guests don’t follow the rules, nobody will be able to go online.
- A hair dryer is available for use.
- Laundry facilities are available.